Archery Paralympics

Oznur Cure Girdi wins a Paralympic gold medal to cap off an incredible show.



During the Paris 2024 Paralympics, 26-year-old Turkish archer Oznur Cure Girdi became a para archery celebrity. In the ranking round, she broke the compound women's world record by achieving over 700, and she maintained her exceptional form throughout the elimination rounds.

In the final, Oznur defeated Iran's Fatemeh Hemmati 144–141 to win her first Paralympic gold.

After they drew in the opening end, Cure Girdi took advantage of opportunities to score two points by making consecutive 10s and 9s. She had a three-point lead going into the final end and held onto the gold.

She reaffirmed her supremacy and her position as the match's top contender. She appeared to be invincible. She was, too.

The 26-year-old competitor stated, "I believed in the medal already after the ranking round and my world record."

Cure Girdi rejoiced, sobbing, after the last arrow.

"I thought I would succeed! It's around my neck now! I'm overjoyed. I put a lot of effort into this. It's fantastic!



She celebrated with great emotion, sobbing and yelling, but she was also able to remain composed when things got close.

The freshly minted Paralympic Champion asserted, "We actually worked very hard on this, too."

Our team consists of many members, and we work closely with our psychologist. We performed a lot of activities to help me manage my anxiety during the preparation time. I found it useful during the competition," Oznur remarked.

"During my training, I tried all those things, including trying to feel the pressure, and I was able to control it easily during the competition." That was something I was used to. I'm glad I could take the strain.
 
Iran's Fatemeh Hemmati won the silver after defeating Phoebe Paterson Pine, the reigning champion, in the semifinal. In an exciting bronze medal match, the British archer was defeated by her teammate and went home empty-handed.

Jodie Grinham, who competed 6.5 months pregnant, received praise and appreciation for her amazing bronze run.
.

In the third end, Paterson Pine gained the lead and held it. With her final shot, she needed a nine to tie the score or a ten to take first place. It was an eight for her.

It is especially important when archery to shoot the final arrow. Until the final arrow, the match is still in progress, according to Grinham.

After finishing the match with two 10s, she emerged victorious.

"I was aware that I had to make quality shots towards the end. I required tens. And happily, I carried out my plan precisely.

Although it hurts because Phoebe is a teammate of mine, I placed pressure on her, and it ended up working in my favor. That implied that I had brought bronze.

Grinham won her first Paralympic medal on her own. She adamantly requested to compete in the upcoming Paralympics in Los Angeles, USA, despite the fact that she will shortly become a mother.

On Sunday, the men's W1 and compound elimination and medal matches will take place in Paris to complete the competition.


Comments