Shannen Doherty Death

Alyssa Milano responds to the passing of her co-star Shannen Doherty in "Charmed"

Alyssa Milano came up about Shannen Doherty after her death on July 13. The 'Charmed' actress claimed Milano sacked her from the show.

A promotional photo of Shannen Doherty from "Beverly Hills, 90210."

Alyssa Milano is putting the past behind her.

Milano paid respect to her "Charmed" co-star Shannen Doherty, who passed away on July 13, despite their long-standing disagreement.

Milano said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly, "It's no secret that Shannen and I had a complicated relationship, but at its core was someone I deeply respected and was in awe of." "Many people adored her as a gifted actor, and the world is a poorer place without her. To everyone who loved her, my sympathies."

Doherty lost her fight with breast cancer after over ten years of illness. Despite being diagnosed in 2015 and going into remission in 2017, her illness reappeared in 2020. The Beverly Hills, 90210 actress revealed in June 2023 that her cancer had gone to her brain and subsequently to her bones.

"After battling the illness for many years, she lost her battle with cancer on Saturday, July 13," her publicist Leslie Sloane stated in an NBC News statement. "Her dog, Bowie, and her loved ones surrounding the dedicated daughter, sister, aunt, and friend. In order for the family to grieve in peace, they kindly request privacy at this time.

Doherty kept herself occupied and employed throughout her health journey, hosting her podcast, "Let's Be Clear." In fact, her rivalry with Milano was rekindled on an episode in December when Holly Marie Combs, Doherty's co-star in "Charmed," alleged that Milano had sacked Doherty from the show following season three.

Milano refuted the charges, though. In February, she posted on Instagram, saying, "I didn't have the authority to fire anyone." "Once Shannen left we had 5 more successful seasons and I am forever grateful."

She hardened her position later that month.

"I'm the most sad that a show that has meant so much to so many people has been tarnished by a toxicity that is still, to this day, almost a quarter of a century later, still happening," she remarked during MegaCon Orlando. That people are unable to get over it saddens me. We're all sad that we can't just rejoice in the success of a show that has such deep personal meaning for us all."

"I've, I think, been very upfront and taken accountability for and apologized for whatever part I played in the situation and I've been very forthcoming about that," she said. "I'm not even sure whether I could try to mend it by putting myself out there any more than I currently have to. It's devastating. It's challenging. This is the awkward portion that I wish had been altered. We apologize to everyone who still loves us despite this.

Doherty, on the other hand, wasn't exactly won over by Milano's remarks.

"At this point in my life, with my health diagnosis — sorry if I start crying — with fighting a horrific disease every day of my life, it is also incredibly important to me that the truth actually be told as opposed to the narrative that others put out there for me," she said during MegaCon. "We told it as a group. We remain true to the truths we have spoken."

"There is no revisionist history happening in the truth that I know we told," Doherty said. "Neither shoe throwing nor brush throwing is present. It is never too late to set. Months pass with no mediator in place. I remember the details as though I were still in them. And I will say this: for me, what some may refer to as "drama" is actually trauma that I have been dealing with for a very long time."

She acknowledged that her fight with cancer gave her the confidence to talk about the "trauma" she experienced. "So that I can actually heal from a livelihood that was taken from me, a livelihood that was taken away from my family, because someone else wanted to be No. 1 on the call sheet," she stated. "That is the truth."


Comments